Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Movies, Movies, Movies

I am currently in Little Rock, Ar for work and while I am away from my family the one perk is that I see movies. Lots of movies. Movies my husband has no desire to see. So in the last 36 hours I have seen 3 movies. I thought I would give a mini-review of these films, well because my opinions matter so much to the like 4 people who read this. Yeah, right.

1. Dreamgirls: I saw this yesterday afternoon in the ONE theater in Little Rock which is showing it. I had a hard time believing it was only showing on one screen, but whatever. The movie was ok. I didn't leave a changed person. It was an enjoyable time, but Beyince was trying WAY to hard to be a star. Way to hard. Jennifer Hudson is totally the leading lady. She did wonderful and her voice is AMAZING. The story is a bit, ok alot, predictable. And I have a hard time prediciting movies. I am way gullable in what they want you to believe right before the big reveal in the end. I saw this one coming a mile away. I have seen better movies this year. Plus, Beyonce was trying to lead the group even when she wasn't supposed to be. Way overacted. Eddie Murphy and Jamie Fox where both excellent. I really liked Eddie Murphy.

2. Running With Scssors: This also qualifies as the last book I read. I read it on the plane here. When I saw it on the TV as a movie I could order, I did. It was bad. The book was extremly disturbing and wrong in so many ways that made it good, but the movie tried to hard to keep it main stream and left some of the crazy out of it (and it was all about crazy- whole concept is crazy) and let the movie deflates around it. It kept fairly close to the book, but then left enormous chunks of important stuff out. I did not enjoy it. I thought Annette Benning was horrible, and Evan Rachel Wood was too skinny for the role. Natalie was suppose to be over weight, she was a stick. And Gwewith Paltrow seemed as though she was too good to be in the movie. And looked WAY to old.

3. Babel: This was the best of the three movies I have seen this week. It was sad and crazy and well edited. The way they wove four completly differant story line together in 4 differant countries was amazing. It worked. Brad Pitt was Brad Pitt. He over acted and tried to look old. Who has the buzz cut with gray hair? Seriously. But the movie was excllent. Even if I had to sit in a crazy little art house theater to see it. Good stuff. You ache for the folks on the screen. You don't want it to end, even after 2 and a half hours.

I am debating seeing The Good Shepard tomarrow. I think it looks good, but Angelina? I don't know if I can stomache her. We shall see.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Well, see? Now you can put all your movie knowledge to good use.
I want to see Dream Girls.

Amy said...

You've been tagged.