Wednesday, November 29, 2006

How do you get 4 cops and a home searched?

I was going to talk about Jacob and his button (that will have to wait until tomorrow), but we had some excitement at our house/neighborhood last night.

Josh’s mother was taken to the hospital yesterday, no worries, NOTHING was wrong with her. But I was called out of work early to make sure nothing was wrong. So I left the office yesterday about 2:30 and headed to the hospital. I arrived and stayed with her until 5:30 at which point I had to leave to pick up the children from the sitter. When I arrived at Mrs. Ann’s house, she asked if Emily could go with her and her cub scouts to a performance at UT in regards to medieval times. They should return around 8:30ish. No problem I say. It is a little late for Emily, as her bedtime is 7:30 but I think, “I am going to be the good, cool mom and let her go” So off Jacob and I went to have dinner and hang out until Josh gets off work at 7:00 so we can worry with how to deal with the whole MIL’s car in a different city situation. Josh gets off work at 7:00, and my MIL calls at 7:11 to say they will be releasing her in about a half an hour. So as soon as Josh comes home we are off to the hospital. We pick her up, drive up to Georgetown to pick up her car, drive her home, and head home ourselves. As we are heading home, I am worried because it is like 8:40 and I hope that Emily is not waiting for us. Even though I explained to Mrs. Ann that we might be out dealing with this I still wanted to be home when they returned.

We drove up to the house, and Mrs. Ann’s garage door is open. I even commented to Josh, “Hmmm, they must have left the garage door open, that’s odd.” But we didn’t think anything of it and took my poor, tired baby into his room and down for the night.

At about 9:00 we started to worry and decided to call Mrs. Ann and ask, hey, what’s up? But her phone was not working. Hmmm. So we wait and watch a little TV and at 9:30 we really start to worry and called to make sure no accidents had been reported on the highway and none had, so Josh went outside and started looking at the garage door that was opened and noticed that the inside door to the house was opened. So now we are worried, calls to police are made and 4 cop cars and lots of interested neighbors later they “sweep” the house. We see the flashlights through the windows and guns are cocked and they tell Josh that if we hear anything there is a rifle in the trunk, come in after. (I secretly think Josh wishes there was a bit of trouble, just so he could cock a rifle, but he would never admit to it) The cops found nothing unusual, just a home that looked as though it had left in a rush, with about 10 kids under the age of 10. And that is was. The kids drove up at about 10:30, safe and sound and tired.

I am glad they are safe, but man-o-man was Emily cranky this morning. I think she will appreciate it when we put her to bed tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I bet Josh really enjoyed the police force excitement. Flashing lights, guns drawn, search and rescue kind of stuff.
I am so glad that she is safe at home. I can't imagine how sick you must have been with worry. I blame UT.

Susan said...

Of course it is all UT's fault, their program went entirely too long. The worst part is, that they actually left before it was over, knowing it wasn't going to end until 10:30! I am just as tired as Emily, and can't wait to go to bed tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

Stupid Longhorns. You should start to root for Texas Tech. Don't tell Josh I said that. I don't want my house searched.

Susan said...

I ususally root for whom ever is playing against them, especially in football, just to get under his skin. It is SO fun!

Sarah said...

That is one of the times I would wish she had a cell phone. Glad everyone is home safely though!