Thursday, July 10, 2008

Old Bessie

Well, it appears that “Old Bessie” may be down for good.

On Sunday, as I was driving to drop Emily off at camp, Josh was driving to work. Only he didn’t make it. About halfway the car started over heating and he had just enough time to get her off the highway before she just plain stopped. After towing her back into town, and getting an estimate for a new engine ($4000!) we have decided it is time to let her go. But she has been good to us, for 7 long years. We bought her right after Jacob was born, because we thought we needed a bigger car.
I thought I would show her off in the best way that I can.


Hanging out in the car wash.

Running to the car with our friends.

Reading the Bible in the car.

Just being silly.

Sleeping.

Riding our big boy bike next to her.

Wearing ridiculous hats while driving her.

Carwash again. See, we took car of her.

Working on her.

Taking the dogs for a ride in her.

Going to Six Flags in her.

She even went to Kentucky!

Being dramatic while riding in her.

Celebrating the holidays with her.

Just being Jacob while in her.

Sleeping after seeing the Cheetah Girls.

Lounging in her.

She even made it through the huge ice storm 18 months ago.

What is really odd about the whole situation is- it is really like almost loosing a family member. We have owned her for so long and she has been with us through think and thin.

I am sad to see her go, and even sadder to think about what we are going to do about it.

Goodbye Old Bessie, its been fun.

5 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Hope the "new" Bessie is good to you for years...

Anonymous said...

Bittersweet memory of Old Bessie...

You, Joshua, Emily, and Jacob were moving to that barren wasteland known as "Texas". We had partakened of a last meal together at Cracker Barrel. All of you were loaded up in Old Bessie and getting ready to leave. Just before you began to pull away, Jacob pressed his baby hand against Old Bessie's back window and waved good-bye to me. Then Old Bessie headed east, carrying a chunk of my heart with her.

I cried all the way home.

Mom

Susan said...

Great mom, make me cry right before bed. Good job.

It really is sad, becasue she has been with us for so long. As nasty and as much of a pain as she has been, she was like my 3rd baby.

She ranks right up there with the little 323 that I puttered around in for so many years as well.

Theresa said...

It really is a part of the family. There are so many times when my kids bring things up and they say...Remember that trip we took in the Rodeo...and all of these images will flash back in my mind of things we did in that car.

Have fun looking for the new family member. New memories will be made. It will be fun!!!

deleise said...

Oh my gosh your mom is brutal! She made me cry before bed, too! I am the same way about cars. And furniture. And outgrown baby clothes. Ugh.

Theresa is right, new memories will be made!!!