Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Time with the "baby"

After dropping his sister off at camp, Jacob and I had ourselves a nice long drive home from Abilene. Most of the time he played his game but we had ourselves a little bit of fun along the way as well.

About an hour into the trip home, we needed to refuel the car and refuel ourselves. We stopped and filled the car up with gas and headed into the gas station. I told Jacob he could have anything he wanted from the store, he was after all on an 8 hour road trip to no where. He immediately headed to the candy aisle and picked up the king sized pack of Reices Peanut Butter Cups. And then he moved over to the coolers for his soda pick. He of course picked Diet Dr. Pepper, because the boy is watching his weight.

I picked up a drink and a small canister of Pringles. Pringles have always held a special place in my heart. When I was younger, my family would go camping. I know, me camping. Not a pretty sight. Anyways, the ONLY time we ever bought Pringles was when we went camping. Maybe that was why I liked camping, it was all for the Pringles. Also, driving back home from LCU I would stop in Roswell, (yes that Roswell) to fill up the car and pick up a canister of Pringles and a Gatorade. Because of all the physical exertion I was about to have, driving for three more hours. And only the Lemon Lime flavor, because that was what my dad drank. Probably because that was the only flavor in 1980, but whatever.

I opened the top of the canister of Pringles and chomped on a few while he ate his 4 Peanut Butter Cups, one which he spilled some of his Diet Dr. Pepper on top of. Yummy combination. Once he had downed them all and was getting giddy on sugar he started munching on the chips. At first he was munching on them one at a time and then, I looked over at him and he had 4 chips all layered together eating them all at the same time. And he was proud of it.



Once we got home he and his father went swimming and attempted to get me wet, but I successfully locked them out of the house while I laid on the couch and tried to not have knots all through my body from driving a little car for 8 hours. After dinner, Josh took him to the corner store for ice cream. Something that rarely happens with Emily in tow. He had devoured his cone before they got home and was flying high on the sugar. He then showed me how to play one of his games on the DS. We snuggled up on the couch and played a few rounds of Step Up on Mario Games. I showed him off to bed at 9 and followed myself about 5 minutes later. It was a nice afternoon drive with my baby boy and a wonderful evening with just the three of us. I miss Emily like crazy… but I am enjoying being a three person family for a little bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always said it is small, unplanned 'things' that make the best memories.

DoD

Deana Nall said...

Maybe our girls have met each other this week! I was a bit of a mess on Sunday, too, and I'm on campus all week and still see her every day. I think it's just knowing she's old enough to do this that gets me.

I went to kindergarten in Roswell. Yes, that Roswell.

Kathryn said...

Susan, I was catching up on Amy's blog and wanted to come over and see how you've been. I enjoy reading your writing...I hope I've told you that..in some way. ANYWAY...my kids have never been at camps and my oldest son only had a few sleepovers as a young kid. So this past Aug., when he went off to college I truly 'worried' how he would get along. He loves it!! I had to beg him to come home and visit. (this is good. but there is more to the story...and it's not what i was wanting to say!lol.) I have 2 others at home; and I just wanted to say how i related to your words...and how nice it is to have the time with one or the other child...and I know that feeling of 'i can't wait for you to go..but i sure missed you while you were gone!) Kathryn E