Monday, May 15, 2006

What I learned in Sunday school

So, Sunday school blew my mind yesterday. I am still trying to wrap my brain around the whole idea.

We are studying the book of John. In John chapter 8:56-58, Jesus tells the crowd, “Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad.” The people said, “You aren’t even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?” Jesus answered, “The truth is, I existed before Abraham was even born.”

Now how could he? It is a new way of thinking. I have always known the trinity, father/son/holy spirit, but to think that it was Jesus who talked with Moses and Jesus who caused the flood and Jesus who was the stern God in the Old Testament and the loving, tender Lord in the New Testament. It was amazing, to see how the Bible says it, and how I truly knew it all along, but in my human brain believed it to be that Jesus did not exist until he was born from Mary. But he was alive and walking with his father before the world was in existence. And that angels do exist. I mean, I knew they did, but that they always did, the devil is a fallen angel, for goodness sake. Angels also walked in the time with God and Jesus before the world was created. WOW, a world does actually exist that is not our own, and I would love to be there walking next to Jesus, holding his hand.
I know my thoughts may be jumbled, but… there they are.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wanna really blow your mind?
Satan stole us from God in the Garden with trickery. When Satan met with Jesus in the desert and offered to give us back, Jesus was not the new guy on the scene. He had been there in the Garden in the first place.

Susan said...

I know!!! This just makes my mind want to explode. Why is it that we are taught as children such a black and white version of such a colorful being?

Amy said...

It's funny, but I think kids are more open to getting it than we are. The notion of a trinity is old news to Mackenzie.