Friday, June 06, 2008

My spin on Parenting

We have had quite an eventful week in our house and as I look back and reflect, I think about Amy’s post, which was in response to Brandy.

On Monday I received a call from my husband asking about what appeared to be bug bites of some sort on Emily’s forearm and check. There had been no bites the day before and she was asleep when I left for work on Monday so I had no clue what he was talking about.

When I got to the Y to pick the kids up from “camp” I looked at Emily’s face and arm and was concerned. Mostly because the spot on her arm was larger than a quarter and when I asked her if it itched or hurt, her reply was “hurt.” After consulting with my mother and she with Nurse Sandy, we decided a trip to the Doc in the Box was necessary. After dinner was complete Emily and I jumped into the car and headed over to the clinic. We packed books, just in case. But when we arrived, it was like a ghost town. Not a soul in sight besides the desk clerk.

After we see the doctor and are diagnosed with a boil, that is possibly a staph infection (but we don’t know because we came in when the infection was still at such an early stage that there was no puss to culture) we head over to the pharmacy and sit and wait for what seems like hours in order to pick up her prescriptions. It was a late night for us on Monday, but her well-being was my concern.

With that diagnosis, I am extremely grateful that I, after much consultation, made the decision to take her to the doctor and felt that I had made a good parenting choice.

With this diagnosis she is required to take 3 teaspoons of antibiotics twice a day for 10 days. 10 days! I can hardly remember to take the medicine I have been on for 9 years daily, much less remember to make sure my child takes her medicine twice a day for 10 days. I have forgotten almost everyday, but bless her heart, she has not forgotten and has self medicated nearly everyday.

I don’t like it one bit. Next thing you know, she will be dosing her own baby with their medicine.

So, I had a point.
We are not always perfect. Hardly ever. But our efforts do not go unnoticed. And honestly, when it really matters, we get it right. I got my child to the doctor. Almost too soon actually, and that is what matters. Luckily, I can lean on her to remember to take her medicine on her own, because I know she can. Plus, she hates it when I nag her. And let it be known I am not claiming to do everything right, I rarely do. But I know I get it right when it counts. And that is what really matters.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

There are no truer words than...
"And let it be known I am not claiming to do everything right, I rarely do. But I know I get it right when it counts. And that is what really matters." I also think you need to through in there that you are training her to be a productive responsible person. ;) Good Mommy!!!!

Anonymous said...

The two people that have ALL medical knowledge relating to children...mom and Nurse Sandy! We know EVERYTHING.

Mom

Anonymous said...

The two people that have ALL medical knowledge relating to children...mom and Nurse Sandy! We know EVERYTHING.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Susan; I don't know if you remember me... friend of Amy's...met you thru Westover Church...anyway; I have throughly enjoyed your blog and your posts on Eric's Wife. I like this post so much, it has stayed with me since reading it this morning. I have trouble putting comments on, since I don't have a blog...but somehow, I want you to know how this has affirmed me and made all the 'terrible things' I have done as a mom...feel not so bad. I HAVE done the right thing, when it mattered. I HAVE made the right choice at the right time!!!! Thank you Susan!! Thank you. God Bless You. Kathyn(kathy)Estrada