Thursday, January 10, 2008

Myspace, fun for the whole family

The whole myspace thing is a little crazy. I will admit that I love me some myspace, yes I do! I made an account over 2 years ago, but only because you have to have an account in order to look at someones pictures. I used it a lot then to get in touch with folks about my 10 year high school reunion. It was great. Then, with the encouragement of my dearest friend Amy, we took myspace by storm. It was a fun competition to see who could have the most friends (she is still beating me, but by less than ten- I just checked) and we worked out the kicks together, over IM’s and had a great time with it. And then we were addicted. At least I was. Goodness, I couldn’t get enough. Looking for old friends and finding them and reconnecting. It was great.

Now, I was the one reaching out to people. I rarely had a surprise Friend request. I may have been surprised that they finally had a myspace, but not that they were adding me.

But this morning, I had a surprise friend request!

When I was 12 my parents picked me up from my very cooshy life and threw me into a foreign country away from my friends, my surroundings and my native language. They threw me into this horrible place where I didn’t know a soul and was scared to death. Until Mr. Hunter, my 6th grade teacher sat me and one Miss Kelly next to each other. We were mortified. “Seriously, her? I have to sit here? Ugh, why me?” said in only the way a horribly moody sixth grade girl could sound.

But, you know what? That Mr. Hunter, he knew what he was doing. He sat me next to my soon to be best friend while I lived those three years in Germany. It didn’t take long before we were hanging out before school, after school on the weekends. Her sister Tara was who introduced me to REM, a love which I still have all these years later. I even bought my first cassette tape of REM (Out of Time) with my money from bagging groceries at the Shoppet, at the Shoppet. Oh, and Mr. Big, ahhh, those wonderful bands from the early nineties. We would walk to the bakery that was minutes from her house and buy kinder chocolate, which I still crave and can’t get my hands on. We were great friends. Then in three years, I moved back to New Mexico and that stinky Abbie Decker* followed me there (a story for another day). But we were friends before the whole internet thing was as widely used as it is now. We found each other once, many years ago- honestly I am not really sure how we did that. We emailed a few times, but quickly lost touch.

And she found me on myspace.

Who knew?

Seriously?

She is the first friend from my time over seas that has found on the myspace thingy, and I am SO happy that she did. I totally have to post a picture of her on and once I get my hands on them. I think they are at my parents house. She makes me want to try to find Melissa, Samantha and Jennifer. Of course they are probably all married and I will be unable to find them, since their name will have changed. Oh well, it will still be fun to look.

*And yes, I have looked for that stinky Abbie Decker, but I can’t find her. I guess somebody married her and she turned into some sort of decent human being- I hope!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm still winning?
Good.
The universe is still in order.

Susan said...

But not by much, I am quickly catching up to you. Maybe, someday I will be as popular as you are. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

You're so funny!
I remember the time we had ticket to NKOB and my parents would't let me go with you and your parents, I was SO upset!!
I did hear from Samantha about 8 years ago. Tara has her sis, Melissa as a friend on her myspace. I thought she would be linked to her by that, but she's not. I'd ask Melissa how she is doing, but honestly I haven't gotten over this feeling of dislike towards her....Long story!
This is cheesy, but I still have the notes and letters you wrote me over the years. If you find a dorky picture of me and post on here, I might die from embarrassment :)