Thursday, March 06, 2008

My babies, oh- my babies

Recently in my home my eldest, Emily has been “reverting” if you will to her childhood- which she left 5 minutes ago. She is still in fact still 9 years old but was going on about 16 for a while. Talking back, slamming doors, the eye-roll and the great stomp off into her room. It had become quite a place to be in our home, especially in the evenings, when she is tired and worn out from the day. There would be all out wars. Serious attitude adjustments and serious contemplation of boarding school. Her life was about the make-up, shoes, HSM2 (High School Musical 3 for all of you lucky enough to not know what that stands for) and iCarley. She had turned into a tween, and she wasn’t supposed to be there for another couple of years.

But recently she has begun to cling to her stuffed animals a little more in the evenings and she has wanted my assistance in choosing her outfits for the day. It was a bit odd in that she wanted my help with anything, or that she wanted my opinion, as it has been shunned for quite a while. She has been allowing me to hold her hand in public and not just when we cross the street. She has wanted loads of hugs before I leave in the morning and is always excited when I get home. She has been extremely helpful in the kitchen- cooking dinner on Monday night all by herself! It was as good of spaghetti as I would have made. She has just been more pleasant.

But now when we sit down in the evenings after dinner has been eaten, homework has been completed and baths have been had I have a little boy sitting to my right to snuggle up with me and my girl- who has been beating him to my side in the evening in the snuggle departments. It is a time that I am required to slow down, sit still and enjoy just being with my children. I know this time will end, sooner than I ever want it to. So for now, I sit on the couch and soak up their love and snuggles for as long as they will let me.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It is nice to hear that she is acting like a nine year old. Good for her. And good for YOU.