Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Because all I can think about right now is me.

Well because I have been asked to update from all the people who read (dad) and because it has been a while I thought it might be time.

Since we last spoke quite a bit has happened. Most importantly (to me) and painful (to everyone who is within earshot of my screams) I had my tonsils out a week ago today. It has been an interesting adventure to say the very least.

We woke up at the crack of dawn and got the kids across the street to the wonderful Mrs. Ann’s house so that we could be on our merry little way. Once we got into the van it would not start. The lights would dimly come on and then nothing. The car would not crank. So we figured it just needed a good jump. So we opened up the Tracker’s hood and attempted to jump it. For like 10 minutes. At this point I am scared we are going to be late and the Tracker while it does get us from point A to point B it NEVER leaves Round Rock. NEVER. And we had to go to Austin. I was worried, but we had to be on our way. So we hopped into the Tracker and headed off into the darkness of night.

We got into Austin and got lost. I knew where we were supposed to go, but it had been at least 3 years since I had been to that hospital and almost that long since I had been in that part of town. When we finally rolled into the parking lot we were 5 minutes late, but I figured they would be forgiving. By this point I had to go to the bathroom like nobody’s business but I had been told to hold it because they had to perform a pregnancy test on it before I was put under. But I had to wait for like 15 minutes before they called me back and I was allowed to use the potty. I was not pregnant, big surprise. Then I got to get all dressed up in this beautiful gown, cap and footies. I was stylin’ like you just don’t know it. Then they tried to start my iv. Tried is the operative word. I was poked 4 times before they finally got it to “stick” in my hand and I should have remembered that from all the other times I have had to have an iv, but, I forgot and was punished for it.

They gave me the good stuff awhile later and the next thing I know I am waking up in the “recovery” room. There was no recovery taking place, just lots of pain.

Then we go home and I sleep and take all the meds like I am told to. And the pain is killing me and I am SO itchy and my tongue is numb and I am having quite a bit of trouble breathing out. And that is not normal. So the next day we call the doctor because the itching was horrible, all over horrible. In between my toes, on my nose, the back of my knees. I am sure I looked like a meth addict I was so itchy. The nurse at the doctors office told us to go the ER, so we go. I am SO out of it because I can hardly speak and I am high on the drugs and they determine that I am allergic, big surprise. So they give me some benadryl and tell me to call the original doctor again. So we do and he is mad that we were told to go to the ER, but in hindsight, I am glad we went. Not for the $50 co-pay we had to pay, but because we went to the new hospital right by our house and we were in and out in an hour. That is good info to have in case of a real emergency (and we all know my kids, it is only a matter on time) and because they gave me benadryl which is what I continued to dope myself with even after getting a new Rx from the doc because the new one did NOTHING for the pain, so I went back to the old one and just threw some children’s benadryl over it to help the itching. And it worked.

So I am now a week after the surgery and I am hungry and in pain still. But I am alive and hopeful that I will feel better to eat turkey by Thanksgiving. And pie. I miss pie.

And if you are curious about the van the battery was indeed dead, so dead it would never start again, but still new enough to be under warranty so we were not out anything but time and a little frustration. And when I say we I mean Josh because he took care of it while I was in a narcotic induced coma after the surgery.

No comments: